Adams Middle School will partner with parents, students, and the community to develop high achieving learning that empowers college bound leaders and productive citizens of good character.
Adams Middle School was named for President John Adams, the second president of the United States from 1797-1801. Dedication ceremonies were held in September of 1963, for John Adams Junior High School. The name was later changed to John Adams Middle School.
Adams opened its doors on September 3, 1963, with Ervin Whitt as the principal and Don Blanchard, Sr., as the assistant principal. The building was built on approximately 22 acres with a unique multi-level architectural design. The original building consisted of 24 classrooms, a cafeteria, gymnasium, library, and administrative offices. An athletic field and field house was also included in the project. The total cost of the building and site was approximately $900,000.
In 1985, construction began on the south wing and boys gymnasium. This project added 11 classrooms, a science lab, conference room , and boys gym to the original building. This addition was completed at an approximate cost of $815,000. Students began using the new classrooms and gymnasium in the fall of 1986. Other renovations have been completed over the past few years including adding ramps and a wheelchair lift to make the building completely accessible to students and patrons who may be physically impaired.
Adams Middle School celebrated its 25th anniversary in 1988. This celebration honored former students, teachers, and administrators.
* Advanced Academics
* Educational Programs – ESL program, Gifted and Talented, Pre-AP classes and STEM Instruction
* Robotics & Lego teams
* Adams University
* Springboard Math Curriculum – the official Pre-AP program from College Board
* Fine Arts program- Band, Orchestra, Choir, Mariachi, Art, Advanced Art, Theatre Arts, and Competition Theatre Arts
* Extracurricular Activities – Football, Volleyball, Basketball, Track, Cheerleading, Soccer
* Academic competitions through Whiz Quiz
* Clubs- Friends of Rachel, National Junior Honor Society, Student Council, Step Team, Art Club, guitar Club
* Courses for High School Credit- Spanish, Pre-AP Spanish, AP Spanish, English 1, Algebra and Geometry
* Counseling Services – Comprehensive guidance program, classroom guidance, individual counseling, social skills group, anti-bullying groups and self-esteem groups
* Parent Support – Onsite parent involvement Liaisons, onsite social worker, monthly parent enrichment classes, PTA, and other parent volunteer program
* Extended Learning opportunities
* Mentoring Programs
Principal; Darwert E. Johnson
Black and Gold
833 W. Tarrant Rd.
Grand Prairie, TX 75050
Let our voices ring with gladness, to be heard from far and near,
The glories of John Adams and the halls we love so dear.
When these days of joy and laughter are but dreams of yesterdays,
The memories of John Adams will remain as though today.