Dear Silver Spur Parents:
The 2016-17 school year at Seguin Elementary is off to a great start! Our students have settled into their routines and are on the road to another outstanding year. Personally, I am very excited to be returning as Principal at Seguin and I am looking forward to our continued success in the coming months!
At Seguin, we feel that focusing on instruction, engaging students in the learning process, and maximizing learning time are key ingredients in meeting the goal of academic success for all our students. We teach the TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills), our state-mandated curriculum, and make sure that they are ready for state and district assessments. As parents, you are our partners in your child’s education. We ask you to join us in making learning a priority.
These are some ways you can help:
- Get your child to school on time. Our day begins at 8:10 a.m. Your child must be in the classroom at that time in order to avoid being counted as tardy. Traffic is always heavy in the morning. Please leave home in time to allow for this.
- Make sure that your child does his or her homework. Homework is given for a variety of reasons, primarily to reinforce skills already taught in the classroom. It is not busy work, but a valuable learning tool.
- Check your child’s folder or agenda when it comes home. These are the tools that teachers use to keep you informed and that you can use to communicate with teachers.
- Read with or to your child every night. Reading is a skill critical to the mastery of all other subjects. As with any other skill, the more it is practiced, the stronger it becomes.
- Practice those math facts! Although we work a lot on problem solving in math, they must know the facts in order to get the problem correct.
The staff at Seguin is ready to meet the challenges and reap the rewards that we know this year will bring. We look forward to working with our students, parents, and community members to accomplish great things!